CUPE Economic Climate for Bargaining June 2008
CUPE has published the June 2008 issue of theÂ Economic Climate for Bargaining publication that I put together on a quarterly basis.Â PreviousÂ issues are also available through this link at our website. Â Â In addition to regular items on national and provincial economic forecasts and analysis of recent employment, inflation and wage developments, this latest issue includes:
- A very brief primer on carbon taxes, credits and offsets
- Analysis of carbon tax impacts on different household income groups (national estimates)Â
- A summary of the growing number of “green job” opportunities
- New collective agreement green bargaining provisions
- Discussion of the factors behind and impacts of recent fuel and food price increases
In this document, IÂ include a “consensus average” of the national and provincial forecastsÂ from major (mostly bank) economic forecasters.Â Â Â Â I have very mixed feeelings about including these because I certainly don’t agree with some of these, but don’t have the time or resources to do a forecast ourselves, and there is a demand for this type of information.
Comments, correctionsÂ and suggestions are most welcome!