The Labour Force Survey indicates that 42,100 more Canadians were unemployed in March. In other words, the federal government provided benefits to fewer workers despite a spike in unemployment and more applications for benefits.
As a result, only 38% of unemployed Canadians received EI benefits (i.e. 523,700 beneficiaries out of 1,374,700 unemployed workers). To improve EI coverage in Canadaâ€™s weak job market, the federal government should increase the accessibility and duration of benefits for workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own.
- Guaranteed Annual Income (September 30th, 2016)
- Mixed bag for EI in Budget 2016 (March 23rd, 2016)
- February Labour Force Woes (March 11th, 2016)
- Le budget de 2016, la stimulation économie, et l’AE (February 12th, 2016)
- The Budget, Stimulus, and E.I. (February 12th, 2016)