Here is my Economy Lab piece on the study by Philip Cross released yesterday. On close examination, his “expanding sectors” turn out to be low value-added resource processing and his argument that Canadian manufacturing is not in decline does not hold water. The decline in output has been far greater than in the US and productivity growth much slower. Looks like structural regression to me.
- Update: A Petition of Academics Against the CCPA Audit (September 11th, 2014)
- Dutch Disease on the Rideau (June 13th, 2012)
- Shrinking EI (May 24th, 2012)
- Clemens vs. Clemens (August 1st, 2011)
- Rationalizing Corporate Canada’s Cash Stash (July 2nd, 2011)