Now that the government is planning for an $8 billion cut, the potential job losses could drive job losses to between 99,000 and 108,000 full time positions across Canada. At this much higher level, the federal government could be single-handedly responsible for pushing national unemployment from its current 7.5% to 8.0%. About half of those losses would be federal public servants and half would be in the private sector (crown corporations, non-profits and government contractors).
The full post is available here
- Beating Back the Ghosts: Be Gone Appeals to Reinhart and Rogoff Authority. Welcome the Triumph of Reason. (April 16th, 2013)
- Austerity through infrastructure Cuts: Budget 2013 (March 22nd, 2013)
- Dead Money (August 23rd, 2012)
- Fiscal “Crisis” In Context: Two Indicators (July 12th, 2012)
- Krugman: End This Depression Now! (May 20th, 2012)