During the federal election, I noted in a Toronto Star op-ed that the federal Conservative platform entails significant fiscal costs for provincial governments. I accepted the Conservatives’ promise to continue the 6% escalator for the Canada Health Transfer, but worried that they might cut other transfers of similar value.
Today, the Finance Minister unveiled plans to discontinue the Canada Health Transfer’s 6% escalator (via a press release entitled, “Harper Government Announces Major New Investment in Health Care”). So, I was right to flag fiscal federalism as an area of concern under another Conservative government, but I underestimated the directness of the threat.
- Polozogistics: Nine Thoughts About the Choice of the New Bank of Canada Governor (May 3rd, 2013)
- EI and CPP Appeals consolidation begins (April 16th, 2013)
- Glass-House Mortgages (March 21st, 2013)
- The Right Response to “No Job Is A Bad Job” (August 17th, 2012)
- Canada’s Economic Problem is NOT High Wages (August 16th, 2012)